Open Sunday - Thursday 9 am - 5:30 pm and Friday - Saturday 9 am - 7:00 pm
At the Howard County Welcome Center ...
- Meet the fun, friendly Tourism Team with local insights
- Pick-up the Official Howard County Visitor + Resident guide, regional maps and travel brochures
- Check-out historical, cultural and recreational displays
- Rest and recharge in the comfortable lounge area
- Enjoy ever-changing photography art and craft exhibits
- Take home souvenirs by local artists and authors …
All in lovingly renovated historic Post Office from 1939 with its vintage fixtures and charming furnishings, must-see New Deal era murals and the original walk-in safe now complete with brass P.O. Boxes.
A little bit more information …
The Patapsco Heritage Greenway’s River Valley History Panels are an attraction in themselves that both travelers and locals will find very informative. These panels give an accurate picture of the valley from the time when only the Susquehannock and Piscataway Indian tribes were here hunting and fishing up to and including the years when industry was king along the river. Over 20 mills could be found along the Patapsco with more dotting the tributaries leading into it.
The oil paintings on the west and east walls of the Howard County Welcome Center were painted in 1942 by Petro Paul De Anna, an artist commissioned by the federal government as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal. From 1934 to 1943, the New Deal murals and sculpture seen in Post Offices were produced under the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later called the Section of Fine Arts. Unlike the Works Progress Administration/Federal Art Project, with which it often is confused, this program was not directed toward providing economic relief. Instead, the art placed in Post Offices was intended to help boost the morale of people suffering the effects of the Great Depression with art. Through a partnership with the Ellicott City Partnership and the Ellicott City Restoration Foundation, a full restoration took place in early 2016.
Attractions - General Info
- Credit Cards Accepted:
- Days & Hours of Operation: Sunday - Thursday 9 am - 5:30 pm, Friday - Saturday 9 am - 7:00 pm
- Handicap Accessible:
- Wi-Fi Access:
- Gift Shop/Shopping On Site:
- Public Restrooms:
- Golf Course: