The Howard County Welcome Center, located at 8267 Main Street, Ellicott City, MD 21043, is OPEN with limited hours from 10AM - 5PM on Wednesday - Sunday. Additionally, Visit Howard County staff is are available via email and phone please see https://www.visithowardcounty.com/about/tourism-council/meet-the-team/ for up to date contact information.
Here's all that we're doing to ensure the health and safety of our visitors and staff:
- Masks required (properly worn)
- Social distancing signage
- Plexiglass barriers at the Welcome Desk
- Limit of 10 guests at a time with a 10-minute maximum
- Frequent sanitization of surfaces and touchpoints
- Reduction of touchpoints to include suspended merchandise sales
- Hours of operation have been temporarily changed to Friday, Saturday, & Sunday 11pm - 5pm
While visiting you can …
- Meet friendly Visitor Service Specialist with local insights
- Pick-up the Official Howard County Visitor Guide and regional maps and travel brochures
- Check-out historical, cultural, and recreational displays
- Rest and recharge
All in lovingly renovated historic Post Office from 1939 with its vintage fixtures and charming furnishings, must-see New Deal era murals and the original walk-in safe now complete with brass P.O. Boxes.
A little bit more information …
The oil paintings on the west and east walls of the Howard County Welcome Center were painted in 1942 by Petro Paul De Anna, an artist commissioned by the federal government as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal. From 1934 to 1943, the New Deal murals and sculpture seen in Post Offices were produced under the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later called the Section of Fine Arts. Unlike the Works Progress Administration/Federal Art Project, with which it often is confused, this program was not directed toward providing economic relief. Instead, the art placed in Post Offices was intended to help boost the morale of people suffering the effects of the Great Depression with art. Through a partnership with the Ellicott City Partnership and the Ellicott City Restoration Foundation, a full restoration took place in early 2016.
Attractions - General Info
- Credit Cards Accepted:
- Days & Hours of Operation: Sunday - Thursday 9 am - 5:00 pm, Friday - Saturday 9 am - 5:00 pm
- Handicap Accessible:
- Wi-Fi Access:
- Gift Shop/Shopping On Site:
- Public Restrooms:
- Golf Course:
- Howard County Welcome Center - Recurring weekly on Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday until October 20, 2021
Visit Howard County has partnered with the Asian Art Collection for an exhibition of 40 pieces of art in the style of the Korean Royal...