The Ellicott City Colored School, Restored
- 8683 Frederick Road
- Ellicott City, MD 21043
Opened in 1880, eleven years before Patapsco Female Institute’s closure, the Ellicott City Colored School fulfilled an 1879 Maryland State law requiring that counties provide educational facilities for African American children. The school—the first to be built with county funds—operated until 1953, before the landmark Supreme Court Case Brown vs. Board of Education called for the integration of public schools. In stark contrast with the lavish Patapsco Female Institute, the one-room structure was primitive; it never had running water, electricity, or central heating. The building serves now serves as a genealogical resource center and a museum highlighting the history of African Americans in Howard County.
Attractions - General Info
- Days & Hours of Operation: Tours are available from 1pm - 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays from May through December
- Tours Offered: Yes