Whether you are searching for unique, handcrafted gifts, the perfect outfit for your next occasion, or antique treasures, the shopping destinations of Howard County, MD have you covered! From the Historic Savage Mill to the boutiques of downtown Ellicott City to the farms of Western Howards County, HoCo has something for every shopper. The Mall in Columbia features a wide variety of top retail stores and is an excellent place to start your shopping adventure. At the same time, Howard County’s plentiful merchants and artisans ensure their customers have a one-of-a-kind shopping experience.
- The Antique Center at Historic Savage Mill is Maryland’s finest antique center, featuring over 100 dealers in a 20,000 sq. ft. space. Savage Mill started as a historic cotton mill, but has since been converted into a delightful shopping complex full of specialty shops and restaurants.
- For quirkier finds, check out A Journey from Junk in Ellicott City. This fun, funky boutique carries everything from vintage furniture to home decor. Be sure to check out their Chalk Paint workshops for tips on refurbishing your own yard sale finds!
- Gramp’s Attic Books in downtown Ellicott City is a must-stop for book lovers (or the friends of book lovers). They buy, sell, and trade used, old, and rare books – perfect for avid readers looking to discover something new.
Savage Mill Shops
Art and Artisans
- Discoveries in historic Ellicott City is the place to go for stunning craftsmanship, including hand-made jewelry, pottery, blown glass and so much more. This local gem features work from both nationally renowned and locally beloved artisans and is a perfect place to find unique pieces you will treasure for years.
- Fine art lovers will want to check out the Artists’ Gallery in Ellicott City. Featuring the work of 28 local artists, patrons can get to know HoCo’s talented artists, working in an astonishing variety of mediums, including oil, watercolor, collage, acrylic, photography, woodworking, stained glass, jewelry, and so much more.
- For local, hand-made pottery, visit Clay Coven Pottery Studio in Historic Savage Mill and ClayGround Studio and Gallery in Ellicott City. Both studios feature the work of local artists and offer classes for those interested in trying their hand at pottery. 4. Bead Soup is a truly unique addition to the HoCo shopping experience. Offering premium beading classes, in addition to a full selection of seed beads, gemstones, and agates beading supplies, this store is filled with whimsical crafts sure to spark your creativity.
Discoveries in Ellicott City
Farm to Shopping
- Head out of the city to Breezy Hill Alpaca Farm for an amazing afternoon interacting with the farm’s prize-winning alpacas, and shopping for the beautiful yarns and wearable art spun from their fleece. The farm also offers tours and classes in dyeing, spinning, and felting techniques.
- Breezy Willow Farm Country Market offers a variety of local products from several local Howard County farms, including their own! Whether you are looking for hand-crafted artisanal cheese, or hand-crafted artisanal soaps, you won’t be disappointed. Breezy Willow Farm also offers spring, summer, and fall CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) memberships for those who always want the freshest produce, meat, and dairy products around.